After replacing the LCD or build plate arm, the build plate will need to be leveled. Unlike the NXE/NXD printers, the XiP should not need leveling upon installation.
The procedure can be done via the Build Plate Leveling Procedure on the printer touchscreen UI (Settings > Maintenance > Build Plate Alignment). The UI will walk the user through the procedure, but before starting ensure that you have the proper tools:
- Four (4) 150um alignment shims
- Four (4) feeler gauges (color coded: white, green, amber, dark brown)
- One (1) 3mm hex key
- One (1) 2mm hex key
- Inspect build plate to ensure that it is clean and free of burrs/debris, remove cartridge and resin vat. Install the build plate and lock in place with the locking lever
- The user can lower the build plate slightly using the Manual Build Plate Movement option in the printer's touchscreen UI (Settings > Maintenance > Manual Build Plate Movement), which allows for easier access to the leveling screws
- Loosen the 3x larger locking screws by approximately 5 turns; Loosen the 3x smaller set screws approximately 5 turns. The build plate should move up and down about 3mm (1/8”) freely
- Ensure the LCD is clean and free of debris, and place the alignment shims in each corner of the plate
Ensure hands are free of the build area and proceed to home the build plate by going to the printer touchscreen and choosing Settings > Maintenance > Build Plate Alignment
Once the build plate is resting on the shims, use the short end of the 2mm key, turn the 3x smaller set screws until they just touch the surface, plus another ~¼ rotation
Using the short end of 2mm key, turn the 3x larger locking screws until some resistance/tension is felt
Pull and push on each alignment shim in the build plate corners. You should feel very slight drag on each one.
Adjustments occur in a triangular pattern to set the height and level of the plate:
Loosening each set screw with a 2mm hex key will lower the corresponding area of the build plate; tighten the adjacent locking screw with 3mm hex key a commensurate amount
Tightening each set screw with a 2mm hex key will lift the corresponding area of the build plate; first loosen the adjacent locking screw with 3mm hex key a commensurate amount, but ensure some tension remains
- Locking screws should have at least 3Nm torque (25 in-lb) of torque once complete
Remove the 4x alignment shims, and use the green and white feeler gauges to verify the gap
The Green feeler gauge should fit under all 4 corners and slide completely below the entire build plate
The White feeler gauge should not fit under any of the 4 corners
- If you use a different build plate after aligning, check the secondary build plate with the amber and dark brown feeler gauges. The amber should fit under all 4 corners, and the dark brown should not.
If the gap is not correct, reinstall the blue shims and repeat alignment steps until feeler gauges verify the alignment.